- Global Energy Infrastructure
Perez, R. X.
Robert Perez is a mechanical engineer with more than 40 yr of rotating equipment experience in the petrochemical industry. He has worked in petroleum refineries, chemical facilities and gas processing plants. He earned a BS degree in mechanical engineering from Texas A&M University at College Station, Texas, an MS degree in mechanical engineering from the University of Texas at Austin and holds a Texas PE license. Perez has authored numerous technical articles for magazines and conferences proceedings and has authored five books and coauthored four books covering machinery reliability. He is also the Technical Editor of Kane’s Rotating Machinery Dictionary.
Reciprocating compressors receive and deliver gas in discrete slugs (or pulses) as the pistons move back and forth.
Some basic, yet insightful, machinery reliability tracking tools are introduced here that can be developed with common spreadsheet applications, such as Excel.
Machinery professionals are constantly searching for ways to improve the reliability or capabilities of process machines. However, the level to which improvements can be economically justified is limited.
In Part 1 of this column (Hydrocarbon Processing, September), I began discussing useful techniques that fall into the general category referred to as “soft skills.”
When I ask people that work around machinery, “How do you improve reliability?” they often tell me to buy better bearings, seals, monitors or some other hardware-based improvement.
- ... 1 pages
Current Digital Edition
Sign up to Receive Our Newsletter
- ORLEN partners with Yokogawa to develop cutting-edge technology for SAF production 9/22
- Oil prices rise as Russia fuel export ban stokes supply concerns 9/22
- Port Arthur LNG Phase 2 Project receives Federal Energy Regulatory Commission authorization 9/22
- EU set to demand e-fuel cars have no climate impact 9/22
- Ethanol groups slam U.S. EPA advisors for report on fuel's 'minimal' climate benefit 9/22
- China climate envoy says phasing out fossil fuels 'unrealistic' 9/22
Construction Boxscore: Project Spotlight
Long Son Petrochemicals Complex
Long Son, Vietnam
Siam Cement Group