February 2015


HP Boxscore Construction Analysis: Will British Columbia build the greenest refineries in the world?

In our latest Boxscore Construction Analysis, we examine proposals by Kitimat Clean and Pacific Future Energy to process bitumen first and then ship those fuels to market.

Nichols, Lee, Hydrocarbon Processing Staff

Canada sits atop the third-largest crude oil reserves in the world. Nearly all of the country’s proven oil reserves—167 B barrels out of nearly 175 B barrels—are located in Alberta’s oil sands. In 2013, Alberta accounted for nearly 80% of total Canadian oil production. The remaining 20% of Canadian oil production originated from areas in the Western Canada Sedimentary Basin and the offshore fields of eastern Canada, primarily offshore Newfoundland and Labrador. Canada is the leading supplier of crude oil to the US, sending 97% of its total crude oil export volume to its southern neighbor, according to the US EIA. The majority of the exported crude originates from Canada&#

Log in to view this article.

Not Yet A Subscriber? Here are Your Options.

1) Start a FREE TRIAL SUBSCRIPTION and gain access to all articles in the current issue of Hydrocarbon Processing magazine.

2) SUBSCRIBE to Hydrocarbon Processing magazine in print or digital format and gain ACCESS to the current issue as well as to 3 articles from the HP archives per month. $409 for an annual subscription*.

3) Start a FULL ACCESS PLAN SUBSCRIPTION and regain ACCESS to this article, the current issue, all past issues in the HP Archive, the HP Process Handbooks, HP Market Data, and more. $1,995 for an annual subscription.  For information about group rates or multi-year terms, contact email Peter Ramsay or call +44 20 3409 2240*.

*Access will be granted the next business day.

Related Articles

From the Archive



{{ error }}
{{ comment.comment.Name }} • {{ comment.timeAgo }}
{{ comment.comment.Text }}